[LAU] OT: Hearing high frequencies

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 18 03:12:52 UTC 2010

Ken Restivo wrote:
> Well, I did the test that someone suggested on this list: I set up a
> little PD patch to generate sine waves, and swept it up and down to
> determine the range of my hearing.
>
> I was pleasantly (well sort of) surprised.
>
> At very nearly age 44, the highest sound I can hear as an actual
> sound, when turned up really loud, is 18100Hz. Up to about 19Khz, I
> can get a really freakin huge headache from sounds, but won't be able
> to perceive them as sounds, just as
> OH-MY-GOD-MY-HEAD-HURTS-MAKE-IT-STOP!

At 55, I think I'd rather not try such a test. I know I have
high-frequency hearing loss - too many hard rock performances without
hearing protection! ;-)

> At normal listening levels, around 16kHz is the maximum I can hear.
>
> Still a good deal better than I expected.

Is your ability to hear the same over the entire range, or do you hear
some frequency ranges less well than others?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community