[LAU] Need help salvaging a recording

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Apr 19 02:14:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Any of W64, RF64 and CAF (all supported by libsndfile) would be fine.
> I would not recommend sun/next au; it main disadvantage is that it
> has no way of storing meta data.

  That's not a bug, it's a feature! (In this case, anyway)

  Use a simple utility(dd comes to mind) to strip the header off the .wav
file, and write the rest to .au .

  Then use another utility (sox?) to read the .au file, which will read the
entire file since it doesn't have any bogus header data to convince it
otherwise, and write out a .w64 file.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009