[LAU] Audiophile 2496 or the Delta 66

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:57:37 UTC 2010

Wouldn't defining all the appropriate ALSA symbols in ~/.asoundrc take care
of this:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/1712_.asoundrc
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1712
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

My solution to these and other problems is to uninstall pulseaudio:
http://old.nabble.com/uninstall-pulseaudio-to-increase-audio-app-stability-across-updates-(was-Re:-yum-update)-to27759501.html&&
dream for a day when a Jack-based "consumer" audio  system is
available:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122789&postcount=24

FYI -- I have two computers, mine with a plain Delta-66, and my son's with a
Delta-66 "Omni Studio"  ... I think they're great, but they're also
 "obsolete" (which means they work and don't require endless futzing). The
newer generation might be better but not as reliable
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1724 (e.g. ESI Juli@ & Maya44 &
Audiophile 192) in terms of latest-technology A/D and D/A, and supports 192K
samplerrate). The thing i like most about the Delta 66 is envy24ctrl
( alsa-tools-1.0.22-1.fc12.x86_64 ) and the ability to route inputs,
outputs, and digital mix 4 analog and 2 spdif channels entirely on the
card:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/little-boxes-audio-production-hardware-studio-dave

The thing that's a complete showstopper on the Audiophile 24/96 is the lack
of balanced I/O. You gotta use Balanced I/O into and out of a computer, with
unbalanced connections through "telescoping shield" technique (
http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/v5MixerOverview/Telescoping_Shield.png
) unless
you like having your sound all fuzzed out by ground & clock noise from the
computer. This works well with the Delta 66 since it appears to have a
reasonably well isolated  analog and digital ground-planes on the card...

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com