[LAU] Developing perfect pitch

ailo ailo.at at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:26:32 UTC 2010

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Are there anyone here that *learned* perfect pitch (don't care 'bout the
> lucky bastards that was born with it). How did you learn it?

I have never heard of anyone learning it. I know a few people who are
almost there, but it's never 100 %.
I have a story about absolute pitch, though:

A friend of mine has absolute pitch and he came to jam with our band
once. We had tuned down our guitars and basses to D. He played bass and
tried to learn a couple of riffs, which was impossible. He learned by
listening, but when he tried to play, the fretboard didn't make any
sence to him. All the notes were in the wrong place. We gave up after a
little while.

My understanding of having "absolute pitch" is that it cannot be
disregarded. It's just there, like the ability to see colors.
I can wake up some mornings and "know" that a melody I hear in my head
is in its' right pitch. And most of the time it is, when I check. But
that's still far from absolute pitch.

Another note on the subject:
Some people who have had absolute pitch all their lives may find that
when they get older their sence of pitch gets out of tune. I know this
happened to guys like Alexander Glazunov (Russian composer) and
Sviatoslav Richter (Russian pianist). How fun would that be?