[LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Apr 21 08:28:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:34:38PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> Kind of a general mastering question, but obligatory
> Linux screenshots of JAPA are included, I promise.
>
> I've noticed with some professional cd's/oggs/mp3s
> I have, the high end is rolled off at around 20Khz.

> The question is: why do they roll off like that,

Microphones, tape machines, lossy encoding,...
all contribute to that. FM radio cuts off at 15 kHz.

(Just watch the output of your radio in Jaaa. You'll
also notice the 19 kHz reference signal (tuners should
filter it out, most don't do it very well.)

> and is there some reason I should do it in this
> day and age?

No. Unless you know the signal will end up in a very
very very crappy DA converter, and you want to give
that one preferential treatment at the expense of all
others.

Ciao,

--
FA