[LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Wed Apr 21 20:50:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:08:22PM +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12:20PM -0400, Monty Montgomery wrote:
>
> > This is utter hogwash.  All the signal energy and resolution is
> > preserved to exactly the limits of the sampling rate at all lower
> > frequencies, even if your 'biggest dots' aren't landing at 0dB or
> > wherever.  True of audio signals, true of  images, true of video.  The
> > same discrete sampling lessons apply to all three equally.
>
> 'Utter hogwash' is exactly the right description.
> I'm getting quite tired of having to fight that sort
> of nonsense. It seems to be an endemic feature of
> 'democratic science'.

Heh :)

It happens on all topics, not only acoustics. The real fights start when
someone tries to scientifically demonstrate creationism :P

Anyways, going back to the original topic, no matter if DAC, resampling,
bad software, analog amplifiers or whatever the problem is, a lot of
consumer devices distort when playing high frequencies (I think
everybody agree on this). It may be the reason for some recordings start
filtering a bit before 20Khz...

It is weird that my Delta 66 also seems to distort at 44100 (though much
less noticeable) and is perfect at 96000, but it may be completely
different reasons I would say.