[LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Apr 21 21:16:14 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 04:47 pm, Monty Montgomery wrote:
> > While I consider this to be an academic discussion since I have high
> > frequency hearing loss, it does seem to me that with a sample rate of
> > 44.1KHz, a 22.04KHz sine wave is indistinguishable from a 22.04KHz
> > square wave despite being below the Nyquist frequency,
> In any good system, both are going to be silence, as they've been
> entirely lowpassed away.

I wasn't talking about a "good system", whether you're referring to D/A
converters or lossy compression or something else; I was talking about the
literal data points in a digital representation of a waveform.  For my own
ears, I lowpass everything to 11KHz because I can't really hear higher than
that and why waste all those bits when I can cram 20 hours onto a CD.

Rob