[LAU] midi over ethernet

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Apr 29 08:16:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:33:28 -0700, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Rui -- I Iove qmidinet and qmidictl!!

thanks

http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2009/07/01/O2-Joggler/p1
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/253801/o2-joggler

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/646001/o2-joggler-49-99-now-with-free-app->http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/646001/o2-joggler-49-99-now-with-free-app-

if there's a way to install libqt4-core and libqt4-gui (>= 4.4) on that
thing, and assuming it's intel x86 arch, it's a matter of building the
i386.deb, upload the thing, install and up you go :)

isn't that ubuntu netbook remix whatever?

> (2) A way to allow for scripting betweeen qmidictl and qmidinet (or
other
> controllers plugging into qmidinet):
>
> Also, one issue I've found w/ controllers in general is that there is a
> need
>> for a simple scripting language, or a comprehensive set of "built-in
>> special
>> functions" to handle "state" and "computation" in midi controllers. Do
>> qmidictl or qmidinet have any solutions for this?

qmidinet is just a gateway application, nothing else. i don't seen real
need for integrated scripting on it. fundamentally it's just a midi-thru
device over udp/ip

qmidictl otoh is being improved to let you configure which midi control
events are transmitted or recognized, that is, anyother than plain mmc
sysex. it's already on current svn trunk, maybe you wanna have a look. you
can now configure each button or knob to any channel, note on/off,
conntroller, key/channel pressure, program change or even pitch-bend event.
largely untested ang eager for your assessment :)

http://old.nabble.com/using-qmidiroute-for-midi-device-control....-ts27963116.html

http://old.nabble.com/Building-mididings-on-Fedora-12-td28384266.html#a28384266
>  )

yep, this could be the thing you're after. i think you could make a
mididings script to apply this logarithmic or even cubic-root approximation
to the bcf2000 controller value (ain't that it?), maybe something like this
formulae:

bcf -> tce:

    tce_value = 127.0 * cbrt( bcf_value / 127.0 )

tce -> bcf (feedback)

    bcf_value = 127.0 * ( tce_value / 127.0 ) ^ 3

maybe i can even incorporate this on qmidictl as an extra configuration
flag, but then it would be a feature of qmidictl and not a general one you
can apply to any other midi controller scenario

> (3) qmidimindctl :-)
>
> http://www.neurosky.com/mindset/mindset.html
>

>> MindSet for Developers and Consumers
>

>> The NeuroSky MindSet headset is our first product available to the
>> public.
>> It is a brainwave interface headset with medical-grade data acquisition
>> for research or consumer use. It measures electrical impulses generated
>> by mental activity, and uses proprietary algorithms to calculate the
>> observed types of brain behavior. For consumer games and education, The
>> MindSet makes calculated brainwave levels and interpreted mental states
>> (currently “attention” and “meditation”) available as digital input for
>> computers, phones, software, and devices. There are currently over a
>> dozen games and educational applications available for download on our
>> store. For sophisticated developers, raw unfiltered brainwave
measurements
>> are available through use of our SDK. In all cases, the data is fed to
the
>> computer via wireless Bluetooth and includes both audio and voice
support
>> for MP3 and VoIP.
>
>> Looks like a PD interface has already been made:
>
> http://github.com/qdot/np_mindset/blob/master/README.txt
>> > np_mindset is an external for either Max/MSP or Puredata to receive
>> information from the Neurosky Mindset.
>
>> Portability of source between Max and Pd is available thanks to flext (
>> http://www.parasitaere-kapazitaeten.net/ext/flext/ )
>
>> Some other interesting links:
>
> http://developer.neurosky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11 ( Control of
>> Lighting Systems with MindSet )
>
> http://developer.neurosky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17 ( Python
>> ThinkGear parser )

this is terribly interesting... i wonder how effective is this thing, i
mean, how deterministic can it be specially on the heads of some people
that i know (or wish to:)

> Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com
>
> PS: qxgedit has compelled me to spend $20 on a Yam SW-60XG (
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200458972918 ) and
$5.00
> on the only Linux-compatible PCI card that still has a waveterminal
header:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ice1724#Dynex_DX-SC51  -- I'll let you
> know how they work. (I'll probably need to add the additional controls
for
> the SW-60XG's analog input: http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/main96.html
> http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21634-175.html ). My complete
notes:

http://old.nabble.com/qxgedit-0.1.0-2.rncbc.suse112.x86_64.rpm-on-Fedora12-td28336102.html

that's not the only one. at least you can trust me that Turtle Beach Santa
Cruz is very popular here for this very purpose and is fully supported
through cs46xx alsa module

seeya
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela