[LAU] aligning rhytmic free-ish audio to strict tempo

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 18:03:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I have some audio that is recorded without click. It's not wildly rubato or
> anything, but it naturally doesn't align well with a sequencer running at a
> steady tempo, which is exactly what I'd like to achieve.
>
> I seem to remember audour can do something in this area, but what would be
> the best way to get the audio in sync with a strict tempo?

On different platforms, i'd recommend looking at N.I's "Reaktor" or
"Traktor" which nicely integrates beat-matching and both can output OSC; if
you learn when to trigger a re-sync (giving the software a hint on what part
of the beats should match) sometimes it almost works && you can "torture"
some interesting sounds out of it as well (warning: glitchy,
experimental&live:)
http://nielsmayer.com/DJColtraneRexx_TheRevealingScienceOfParticles_scratchpadmix1.mp3
http://nielsmayer.com/DJColtraneRexx_Frithyloop.mp3

Is there anything like Ableton Live for Linux, yet?

I wish there was a decent "looper plugin" that could "plot" any vector, at
any speed/pitch(&granularity), through any soundfile and output digital
audio, while also outputting its derived tempo, through whatever means
necessary (OSC?) to whatever app it is plugged into. Alternately the same
plugin can sync to master tempo on OSC (or whatever) "bus." That way you can
get rid of quirky and fundamentally limited "DJ" apps and reuse their
functionality within your DAW of choice: each track, loop & sample can be
"flown in" to the overall workflow&BPM-mapping generated by the DAW.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com