[LAU] Jack, HDA and mic input

Alexandros Diamantidis adia at hellug.gr
Thu Apr 29 20:31:08 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I got a new computer recently, with onboard audio (ATI Technologies
Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) according to ALSA). I discovered that if
there's no microphone connected, jack (jackdmp 1.9.5) doesn't run and
outputs a continuous stream of "alsa_driver_xrun_recovery
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle". As soon as I
connect a mic, it works normally.

When starting it with the -P option (playback only), mic presence
doesn't affect jack operation, but of course there are no capture ports
available.

It doesn't make much of a difference for me right now, but just for
curiosity's sake, I'm wondering if it's possible to start jack without a
mic and have capture ports appear automatically when one is connected.

Thanks,
Alexandros