[LAU] Auto switching outputs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Aug 2 02:36:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've acquired a pair of wireless headphones; the type thathas a USB
> dongle that plus into amy machine and uses analog FM to communicate
> with the headphones.
>
> These JustWorked(tm) under linux, but now I'd like to have audio
> (either PulseAudio or ALSA) auto switch to the headphones whenever
> they are plugged in.
>
> Is this doable? Any hints?

ALSA can definitely detect the jack insertion. However, it requires a
user-space app that is paying attention to the "switch". It won't do
it automatically. You can either investigate PulseAudio, which is
certainly used for this purpose on a variety of mobile devices, or
you'd have to write an additional app yourself.

sorry this is not more helpful.