[LAU] how to use linux to make music that sounds like peverelist dub-tech?

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Aug 5 07:46:56 UTC 2010

On 4 August 2010 23:27, M Watts <zwy648rct at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 04:33 PM, James Stone wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have any clues about why I get
>>>
>>> $ neil
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "/usr/local/bin/neil", line 20, in<module>
>>>    import neil.main
>>> ImportError: No module named neil.main
>>>
>>> having just installed neil and can verify neil is in
>>> /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neil/
>>> (gentoo, python2.6)
>
> I've had this with a couple of apps; even though they're under /usr/local,
> they still want to look under /usr for stuff.
>
> I uninstalled, then reinstalled adding PREFIX=/usr to 'scons configure' in
> libneil diretory, and 'scons install' in the neil directory (no configuring
> to do in the latter).
>
> It then finds all libs, but if SELinux is going, there's a half-dozen errors
> about libs requireng text relocation.  Once these are fixed, it seems to
> work.

Thanks that worked. I uninstalled both libneil and neil and then added
the PREFIX to both.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to join yet another mailing list to
solve the audio output problems. It looks like an interesting app I'd
like to have a go. Has anyone else told the author(s) the
outrageousness of not having JACK output!? Though people are free to
not use JACK, I can't see why they'd choose to not use it for their
audio/synth/sequencer application.

James.