[LAU] Nouveau driver on audio systems

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Aug 5 21:52:46 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'd like to get an idea of how the 'nouveau' driver for Nvidia
graphics cards is working on systems used for audio production.

I have installed it on a number of systems over the past half
year, all of them ArchLinux and using a 'standard' (i.e. non
realtime-patched) kernel, 2.6.32 upto 2.6.34, with Xorg 1.7
and 1.8.

On some systems 'nouveau' seems to work really well, on some
others it produced lots of xruns (using a moderate jack period
size of 256) which went away when I replaced 'nouveau' by the
older 'nv'. I did not try the proprietary driver from Nvidia,
AFAIK it has latency problems as well.

Sooner or later 'nv' is going to disappear, and we will only
have 'nouveau' or the proprietary driver. I'd want to avoid
a situation where no usable Nvidia would be available to users
of audio systems. *If* there is a problem with 'nouveau' we
should identify it and get in touch with the developers.
The first step in this process would be to collect some user
feedback.

Ciao,

--
FA