[LAU] Nouveau driver on audio systems

Björn Lindig bjoern.lindig at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 07:34:43 UTC 2010

Am Freitag 06 August 2010, 01:05:56 schrieb Brett McCoy:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Tim Blechmann <tim at klingt.org> wrote:
> >> On some systems 'nouveau' seems to work really well, on some
> >> others it produced lots of xruns (using a moderate jack period
> >> size of 256) which went away when I replaced 'nouveau' by the
> >> older 'nv'. I did not try the proprietary driver from Nvidia,
> >> AFAIK it has latency problems as well.
> >
> > while i heard rumors about latency problems of the proprietary nvidia
> > driver, i did not experience any latency issues. when i did some
> > histograms for the multicore signal processing engine of supernova on my
> > nehalem workstation, i was measuring a maximum jitter of about 10
> > microseconds. unless you don't want to use the proprietary nvidia driver
> > for political reasons, it is fine to run it for low-latency applications
> > ... but testing it is probably better than relying on personal opinions
>
> I use the proprietary NVidia drivers on Ubuntu Studio... very few, if
> any,  problems with latency or xruns here, and I am recording and
> mixing just about every day on this system (including sequencing with
> samples on a separate machine and syncing to previously recorded
> material). However, I am using RME Multiface II and have disabled the
> internal audio hardware, so YMMV depending on hardware and software
> combination.

Hi, I use the nouveau driver on archlinux since aprox. 1 year with a 7xxx
card. The soundcard is the legendary maudio 1010l. I never had problems with
xruns since I'm using nouveau. If you have specific tests to run on that
system, I can perform them on the machine in a week or so (as soon as I'll be
back from my holidays).

Best, Bjoern