[LAU] New blues and soul-esque tracks, need recording, mixing and mastering hints!

Roberto Suarez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:09:15 UTC 2010

El día Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:56:39 +1000, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com>
escribía:

> Hey all, after listening to Roberto Suarez Soto's track I thought I
> should ask for some advice for my latest stuff too! :)

	Always glad to be an inspiration ;-)

> Any hints? How does it sound? Are the drums recorded ok? What would
> you do with compression, reverb, EQ, anything else to these tracks?

	It sounds pretty "raw", indeed. Almost like a microphone in the
middle of the band. But other than that, it's quite cool. My favourite is
"Three weeks in Albania".

	My major complaint is the voice of the singer. She's got a great
voice, but you can't almost hear it in "Frustration", and more but still not
quite in "Three weeks ...". Take my advice with a cartload of salt (I was the
one asking for advice here lately, after all), but I'd use some
compression with it. The guitar and bass are quite loud, so maybe lowering
them a bit to make the voice and drums more present would help. Also, I
barely hear the bassdrum; perhaps you could use some equalization there.
Personally I like a good, big bassdrum; completely personal opinion that
you're free to disagree with.

	On the whole, good work :-)

--
    Roberto Suarez Soto                  Man is a dark animal