[LAU] S/PDIF

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Aug 11 20:06:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:05:07PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> External
> gear may have better power - less ripple, better load regulation,
> etc., and better clocking which allows it to do a better job.

That is quite correctly put: it _may_ have better power.
In practice it depends on how well it was designed, and
and on the quality of the components and construction.
In other words on what you pay for it.

There's a world of difference between a Behringer and an
RME Multiface, to name two extremes which I measured.
And in fact I've seen internal sound cards that are cleaner
than some external ones.

Ciao,

--
FA