[LAU] New blues and soul-esque tracks, need recording, mixing and mastering hints!

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Mon Aug 16 22:20:20 UTC 2010

måndag 16 augusti 2010 15.22.04 skrev  Loki Davison:
> Thanks for your advice, now up for every ones hopeful listening
> pleasure: my new attempt at a mix.
> http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~loki/moons_of_saturn-three_weeks_in_albania.
> mp3
>
> I've tried to balance things a bit, and even attempted a bit of
> compression and effects! :)
>
> Any hints? What do you think of the track? I found
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Ardour/ fantastically helpful for
> this so thanks to everyone involved in that. I also tried using some
> convolution using jconv so thanks to Fons.

Great improvement, everything is loooot better! :-)

I don't really wanna come with hints, you will improve a lot just by
continuing what you do, just as you've showed compared with the first mix.
Well.. you can do some automation on the vocal, her voice (words) disapears in
one or two places and maybe you can turn the guitar just a little bit up
again.

Rember to allways use the hipass filter on every track, that alone make the
mix sound clearer. Try > 50 on drums, 40-50 on bass, 80 on guitar possibly 130
on voice, try and test. Remember that hints, meanings on the 'Net and what
others are saying are (often subjective) directions, you are the boss! :-)

I like the track, just keep on the good working :-)

Jostein