[LAU] Questions about Cakewalk (Roland) A-500S

Guido Piazzi guido at fotocaos.it
Sat Aug 21 14:21:35 UTC 2010

I've just bought an A-800Pro. It doesn't seem to work with Linux out of
the box, but it works fine with USB advanced mode disabled.

I think making it work in advanced mode should only require a trivial
kernel patch (hardcoding the USB model number as it was done for the
Edirol PCR series midi controllers, now replaced by the Cakewalk A-PRO
series). I didn't try that yet.

The A-Pro keyboards can be configured to work as USB-midi interfaces for
connecting midi equipment to the computer via the midi in and midi out
sockets, besides sending midi codes via USB from the keyboard and
controls.

The A-300Pro and A-500Pro work the same way. I'm not sure about the
A-500S: you should download the manual, study it and then
try-before-you-buy... unless somebody else comes up.

Ciao,
Guido