[LAU] Installing Google Voice Chat for Linux on Fedora instead of Debian

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 08:58:57 UTC 2010

Niels Mayer wrote:
> Excited to
> see http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/call-phones-from-gmail.html ,
> I was quickly disappointed to find the plugin only supported debian and
> was 32 bit. However, I persevered and got it running on Fedora 12 x86_64
> anyways.
>
> Solution:
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/chat/thread?tid=10ffe01c3a4779f5&hl=en&fid=10ffe01c3a4779f500048eaedc559f0f
> <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/chat/thread?tid=10ffe01c3a4779f5&hl=en&fid=10ffe01c3a4779f500048eaedc559f0f>
>
> Google ought to hire someone that knows about App Development and Linux
> Audio and Fedora packaging (me?) to make the audio/video experience
> nicer for it's Linux users. In particular, not just blindly using ALSA
> devices for input that cannot possibly support audio capture,

Don't blame Google for that. On all five of the computers around here,
ALSA sets up the PC speaker as an input source!

> although I
> guess I'm a fringe-case since I don't use pulseaudio, since I've got
> KDE's phonon setup to do the right thing w/r/t all my audio devices,
> including the ones talking via Jackd.
> ( http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2010-May/016886.html ).
> Also, not assuming every Linux user runs a debian/ubuntu distro would be
> helpful as well :-)

But all five of the computers here run Debian and have for many years.
Outside a few folk on LAU, I don't know anyone who runs Fedora. So,
clearly, you are a fringe-case. ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com