[LAU] Subconscious Affecting Music

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 26 12:38:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, August 26, 2010 1:35 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Can you describe this technique in words?

How about a test instead. Listen to 10 of the latest club remixes of the
latest Pop music from the last 3 years and tell me if you can spot the
compositional technique therein? It's mostly centered around certain very
similar synth and drum patterns and is complemented by the use of sexually
suggestive breathy female vocal tracks/samples and aggressive dumbed down
male lyrics.

> My main thought is that technique by itself cannot be aggressive - the
> context can.

Definitely the context helps to reinforce the subconscious emotional
affect of the music and I am not saying that it is a guaranteed affect. It
probably takes several years of conditioning to really work it's magic.
I'm not sure because I have been over exposed to this kind of music over
the past 10 years by hanging out with people who like it.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.