[LAU] Inquiry regarding midi-filters

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Aug 26 19:23:14 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I do have a question for all the midi-freaks:

I have a korg nanokontrol and would like to use it to control a mixer
(behringer ddx, not my own). For faders this works quite well, for the mute-
buttons I am stumped:
The ddx wants ctrl 104 with the channel as value to mute and ctrl 105 with the
channel to unmute.
The nanokontrol can only send one controller with two different values per
button.

So I thought about making the nanokontrol send the channel as controller and
104 as value for mute 105 for unmute. And then use a midifilter to switch ctrl-
number and value before sending it to the ddx.

And this is where the fun begins.

midish is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during one
evening).
qmidiroute is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during one
evening).
puredata is not able to do this. While it is easy to connect ctlin with ctlout
and switch ctrl and value, it sometimes uses the value from the event before
and I couldn't get that to work either... (If some pd crack can give me a
hint, I am very open to that, the problem seems to be that the events are
passed/handled in the wrong order.)

Is there any other easy midi-router / -filter that even thinks about these use
cases? (Note: I didn't yet try pidim...)

Thanks for your answers,

Arnold