[LAU] Inquiry regarding midi-filters

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Aug 26 21:31:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 26 August 2010 21:46:17 Folderol wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:23:14 +0200
> Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> > I do have a question for all the midi-freaks:
> > I have a korg nanokontrol and would like to use it to control a mixer
> > (behringer ddx, not my own). For faders this works quite well, for the
> > mute- buttons I am stumped:
> > The ddx wants ctrl 104 with the channel as value to mute and ctrl 105
> > with the channel to unmute.
> > The nanokontrol can only send one controller with two different values
> > per button.
> >
> > So I thought about making the nanokontrol send the channel as controller
> > and 104 as value for mute 105 for unmute. And then use a midifilter to
> > switch ctrl- number and value before sending it to the ddx.
> >
> > And this is where the fun begins.
> >
> > midish is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work during
> > one evening).
> > qmidiroute is not able to do that (at least I couldn't make it work
> > during one evening).
> > puredata is not able to do this. While it is easy to connect ctlin with
> > ctlout and switch ctrl and value, it sometimes uses the value from the
> > event before and I couldn't get that to work either... (If some pd crack
> > can give me a hint, I am very open to that, the problem seems to be that
> > the events are passed/handled in the wrong order.)
> >
> > Is there any other easy midi-router / -filter that even thinks about
> > these use cases? (Note: I didn't yet try pidim...)
> >
> > Thanks for your answers,
> If I understand you right, this comes down to a MIDI 'translator' that
> can identify a specific command and exchange it for a specific
> alternative. This would seem in theory (haha) to simply require a pair
> of linked editable look-up tables.
> I would *very* much like to see this, and don't have a clue how to
> implement it myself :(

Actually (I am a programmer, not a guy looking into lists:) its "just" a
matter of "switch controller number and its value and send it on". Bonus
points for "if the controller number is greater then 62, subtract 62, switch
controller number and value and send it on, otherwise just send it on". That
way you can also have the volume faders (sending controllers <62) control the
faders of the ddx.

BTW: One cool feature of the ddx is that each channel is controllable, not
each "front-side" fader. I used that to control the faders of channels 17-24
which had the "unimportant" keys, while the ddx was constantly showing the
first 16 channels where the more difficult channels where located...

Have fun,

Arnold