[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Aug 30 01:15:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, August 29, 2010 4:42 pm, david wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> On Fri, August 27, 2010 12:21 pm, david wrote:
>>> I asked a friend of mine, who's rather intellectual about music, about
>>> the book someone mentioned in this thread, of ancient Greek thought on
>>> the effect of music on the mind:

>> So is/are he/you you saying the whole idea is stupid or just that there
>> has been alot of BS published in the academic/scientific literature on
>> the
>> subject?
>
> No, whole idea isn't stupid, just that there's been a lot of nonsense
> written on the subject. Given what I know of how he thinks, he's
> probably referring to the academic/scientific literature, but I wouldn't
> know.

Coincidentally I started reading the Topos of Music last night and it
starts right off with psychology as being one of the four pillars of
musicology.

The authors refer to physics, psychology, mathematic and semiotic as the
fundamental corners of a four point pyramid that encapsulates the
scientific domains of music.

http://www.amazon.com/Topos-Music-Geometric-Concepts-Performance/dp/3764357312#reader_3764357312

Page 6/7

Interesting stuff.