[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Aug 30 10:17:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, August 30, 2010 2:49 am, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Patrick!
>    You really seem to have a desolate opinion of the masses. there always
> is
> the choice and it is not, that choices are hidden away in dark corners.
> You
> can look on youtube, in the stores, at the internet radio landscape, even
> at
> big collections of stations, including pop and/or poprock. You'll find
> loads
> of alternatives. I have the feeling - at least here in Germany - that
> among
> young peoples more and more turn, besides their interest in typical pop,
> something of their own. Indi, oldies, 70s, folk... You name it, they'll
> like
> it and show it to others. I've seen that in several friends and friends'
> children.

I'm not talking about the general soundtrack that people listen to on
their ipods. I'm talking about the club sound that is predominant across
the globe.

Yes, there are plenty of alternatives which encourage a deeper
understanding and when you find them it is a great thing to explore. But
if you compare them to the music that is being played in the big clubs you
will find they are marginalised at best.

As I have already stated, IMO most popular club mixes are callous attempts
at leading the masses with sexual imagery and aggression combined with
specific compositional techniques to influence the listener in what I feel
results in a negative outcome on a global scale.

Anyway the main point I'm trying to get to is that it should be possible
to influence people in different ways using the same techniques but
perhaps with a twist that is not immediately obvious to the people who
will do everything in their power to keep anything with that potential
away from the airwaves and clubs.

Granted in Europe there is a significantly advanced musical appreciation
across society but looking at the rest of the world and particularly in
Asia that is hard to come by to the same degree.

I will even go so far to say that it is a dangerous thing for people in a
society that places more value on the intelligence of Art to not
understand how bad it really is in countries that don't have that
fundamental appreciation / set of values. People from those societies who
don't feel the need to make a wholesale attempt to provide the resources
that can give the people in other disadvantaged societies the opportunity
to get a clue are actually allowing the system of disadvantage to build in
scale and run the risk of loosing the advantages they enjoy over the
longer term.

If a society that is constantly bombarded with ideas of aggression,
supplication, and idiocy is allowed to weild power, we all feel the
negative results...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.