[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Mon Aug 30 12:25:15 UTC 2010

Patrick!
  You still got the wrong end of the stick. I meant: The arrangements of good
pop music are multilayered. But as even Genesis said: It's easier to make a
long track, than a short to the pint song.
   As to restrictions: I set myself some constraints to conform to a very
specific type of pop music. But even that has been there since the middle
ages. Baroque music had its forms, which were sometimes quite constrained.
think of counterpunctual works around Bach's time. There were quite a few
rules to be followed. As to innovative new music. Hm, even about baroque music
some people say: It's always the same. Or mostly. And that's not always
people, who have no idea about it.
   We've always had forms. And we had specific ways of delivering messages for
a long time as well. If you go dwn that road: Think sonnets. Not only
metrum/rhythm and rhyme schemes, but a certain style of language and ways to
use that language. The romantique era was quite free, but even there, loads of
people made a system for themselves and adhered to it.
   Yet I don't think it's all too subconscious still. It's quite plain, if you
know the language used, or if you just have enough motivation/energy to delve
into it. And that may be a problem. But with any type of music, you will
develope some form of communication and to be completely understood, the
listener will have to take the time to learn. Because even with the popmusic
we're talking about, there are the minds of the producers and writers, which
bring in something specific. But you can live without it.
   Kindest regards
            Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net