[LAU] No joy with AVlinux

Batz batzman-lau at all-electric.com
Wed Dec 1 13:29:54 UTC 2010

Y-ellow All.
         OK. need some help here. I regret to say that I'm not getting much
mileage out of AVlinux. I haven't felt quite like throwing a computer out
the window, since Turtle Beach first started making sound cards. Well, OK,
It's not quite that bad but it's certainly reminiscent. Ah them were the
days... However I think my days of experiments in computer aerodynamics are
behind me. :) I hope.

I'm not even quite sure what questions to ask at this point. There is so
much not working properly. It all seems quite hopeless. So ultimately; I
need to know if I am wasting my time or should I persist? Should I move on
and try a different distro? Though I actually like the distro it self.

The test bed is fairly simple...

2.8 gig P4
1 gig RAM
Hoontech DSP124 (Envy24) sound card.
Evolution MK249 USB keyboard.

The final system will be different to this but this will have to do as a
proof of concept. All of which appears to work in and of it self.

For the most part, software will either connect to MIDI or Audio but not
both. All except for that little drum machine thing. Hydrogen? I get sound
and MIDI but it Xruns and crashes regularly. I'm not so much worried about
the Xruns at this point. There are bigger issues. Linux sampler only works
as a Zynjacku plug in. Except that Zynjacku's MIDI comes up in the MIDI tab
of JACK. Everything else comes in under the ALSA tab. Which means there's
no way to connect to it. Or no obvious way.

Yoshimi looked really interesting. It looks as though you can use samples
as oscillators which could be what I'm after. Except that as above, I can't
connect MIDI into it. And even when using the little keyboard
applet/window, it crashes a lot. Usually it takes JACK out as well. To the
point of requiring a reboot. Because the frozen windows lock themselves and
I can't kill them. And JACK won't connect anything after that. I guess I
could find the process and kill it. I can't see that being very helpful up
on stage in front of an audience though. And the last time it crashed, it
seems to have crashed permanently. Yoshimi will load and lock it self and
that's all.

Perhaps the recording apps work well. I don't know. I'm not set up to test
that. And this is not my current focus.

So anyway, if any of this sound familiar and is easily fixed then I'd be
over the moon to hear about it. Or alternatively, should I move on to try
another distro?

Thanks in advance.

Be absolutely icebox.

| "_ \      | |         batzman-lau at all-electric.com