[LAU] No joy with AVlinux

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:18:36 UTC 2010

Hi Folderol and list!

I think your debian LA config crib sheet should've been a new thread
as I can see this spawning a lot of debate and tweaks. When I'm
feeling better I may modify yours to how I do it but as for now I'll
just address a couple of standout points:

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:03:06 +0100
> fred <f.rech at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Folderol a écrit :

>> > I've been waiting for an update on this too :(
>> >
>> > However, the good news is that I've found I get very reasonable results using a
>> > minimal debian squeeze then pulling in a rt kernel and just the audio packages
>> > I want.
>> >
>> > If anyone is interested I can post the crib sheet I made as I installed it.
>> >

>> Please post it Folderol, it could be really nice when Squeeze goes to
>> stable !
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Fred
>>

> Wow!, I wasn't expecting that much interest. OK here it is:
>

> install from disk and unmark 'desktop' and 'standard'
>
> log in as root
>
> using apt-get-install
>        xorg
>        synaptic        pulls in sudo and a lot of useful base level stuff
>        python-dbus
>        openbox
>        obconf
>        rox-filer

Rox filer? Not for me squire. When it was a gtk1 app it was lightning
fast but then when it switched to gtk2 it lost all appear for me. No
RMB on file to copy (ie having to open the target dir in a new window)
is a bit of a bind. Thunar FTW! ;)

> in /etc/sudoers add line:
>        {username}  ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/synaptic, /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot
>
> run startx, xterm, rox, obconf to create default files
>        create ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh with:
>                rox -S &
>
> using apt-get-install
>        mingetty
>                in /etc/inittab change:
>                        respawn:/sbin/getty   38400  tty1
>                to:
>                        respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin {username} --noclear
> tty1
>
> add to end of /home/{username}/.bash_profile
>        startx
>

> use iceweasel to fetch the following rox apps
>        rox-lib2
>                tar xvjf rox-lib2*
>                as root move contents to /usr/local/lib/
>
>        archive
>                tar xvjf archive*
>                can now use archive to unpack others
>
>        rox-Clib_xxx
>                move as /usr/lib/ROX-CLib
>
>        traylib
>                rename to just TrayLib and as root move to /usr/local/lib/
>
>        devtray         so we can use usb sticks in ROX

All that can be dropped if the user forgoes rox of course.

> from the desktop install:
>        libusb-1.0-0
>        inkscape
>        k3b
>        kcalc
>        kchars
>        krename
>        kwrite
>        gftp
>        gimp
>        gkrellm
>        gnome-system-monitor
>        gparted

You seem to be aiming for lightweight here. Unless you need its
advanced features I'd use mtpaint instead of gimp. I use filezilla
instead of gftp for GUI ssh/ftp coz its cross platform.

> for audio
>
> install the following:          enable audio when asked
>        qjackctl        pulls in a lot!
>        alsamixergui
>        alsaplayer-jack
>        alsa-utils
>        ardour
>        audacious
>        audacity
>        easytag
>        hydrogen
>        jack-rack
>        jamin
>        japa
>        lillypond
>        meterbridge
>        qsynth
>        rakarrack
>        timemachine
>        vkeybd
>        vorbis-tools

Could add many many more to this list but I suspect most here know
what apps they want.

> as root
>        alsactl init            (ignore errors)
>        reboot and use alsamixer to bring up levels (will be silent otherwise)

Then

alsactl store 0 (or whatever its alsa device number is)

>  temporarily add the following to repositories:
>        deb cdrom:[64studio 3.3-alpha2 (1)]/ karmic main

Don't think you meant to include this first line- most won't have the
64studio CD/DVD

>        deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ hardy-backports main
>                ignore errors
>        install multimedia kernel 2.6.29
>        disable these repositories but keep then 'just in case'
>        reboot and select new kernel
>
>  check for RT kernel with uname -a
>        should include PREEMP and RT
>
>  edit /etc/default/grub
>        change
>          GRUB_DEFAULT=0
>          GRUB_DEFAULT={number of wanted menu item as default, counting from 0}
>        run 'update-grub'
>

> for compiling music progs:
>        automake
>        build-essential
>        cmake
>        cmake-curses
>        dssi-dev
>        fluid
>        git-all
>        libasound2-dev
>        libfftw3-dev
>        libjack-dev
>        liblircclient-dev
>        liblo-dev
>        liblrdf0-dev
>        libmxml-dev
>        libqt4-dev
>        libsamplerate0-dev
>        libsndfile1-dev
>        libxml++2.6-dev
>        subversion
>        xutils-dev
>        zlib1g-dev

You can vastly reduce the amount of dev packages you list here with a simple

apt-get build-dep ardour

Which will get most of the dev packages a LAU would want in one shot
(but not autoconf and subversion/ git to name a few notable
exceptions)

HTH?

Dan