[LAU] New processor purchase, AMD

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 21:08:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> AMD seems to be more opensource friendly?
>
> \r

I used to think that was true, mainly due to the pre-AMD ATI history,
but reading LKML and the Intel-Gfx lists over the last 2-3 years I've
changed my mind. Intel makes contributions to kernel development and
supplies lots of Open Source hardware drivers, far more I think than
AMD. The Intel Graphics driver development is manned by Intel people
with Intel mailing addresses. They have good Linux platform bring-up
support included with retail motherboards and on their web site
including methods for updating BIOS that don't require Windows or DOS.

Don't get me wrong. I love AMD. I worked for them twice for about 8
years total and they are a great company with great products. I just
think Intels back in the lead for the last year or so. I expect AMD
will stay in the game, but get ahead I'm not sure.

Just my view,
Mark