[LAU] Rhodes for LinuxSampler?

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Mon Dec 6 11:19:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:05 +0000, James Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Leigh Dyer <lsd at wootangent.net> wrote:
> > I gave it a shot on the jRhodes3 SF2 file, and the resulting SFZ works
> > well in my LinuxSampler CVS build. If anyone wants a copy of this, email
> > me off-list and I'll send you a link. If there's enough interest, I'll
> > email the author and see if he's happy for me to release it publicly.
> >

> Interesting, but (I'm not being sarcastic here) what's the point? Why
> not use fluidsynth to play soundfonts, seeing as that is what it was
> designed for??

I'll admit there's a significant "because I can" factor :) There are
some advantages to using LinuxSampler, though -- it uses less RAM for
large sounds (since it streams data from disk), and it's easy to create
and recall instrument setups for a complete track. If you're already
using LinuxSampler for one instrument on your track, it's easier to load
more instruments in to that than to fire up Qsynth/FluidSynth as well.

I think SFZ has limitations when it comes to handling multiple sounds
within a single file, though, so it's no substitute for SF2 and
FluidSynth when it comes to handling GM sets.

Thanks
Leigh