[LAU] Rhodes for LinuxSampler?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Dec 6 12:19:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>  Sorry for getting this a bit of track for a moment... About pianoseq and
> sampled pianos.
>  I think it's a question of religion. I've heard one or two people, say,
> that pianoseqs instruments are so marvellous and alive. I listened to a few
> tracks and it doesn't sound bad. But it isn't to my taste. Just to compare,
> I've found the Yamaha 7CG on sampletekk. I use the JR., the smaller one
> here. Admittedly it's still huge. but I set there and found myself back at
> school, sitting at the grandpiano. Not ours, which was a Steinway, but the
> one of the other schools. Or at university in one of the practise rooms. I
> don't know, it feels so real. Probably due to a bit of ambience just
> perceiveable minutelyround the edges. It does well for me for solo and
> integrating in a song. It's only one sound.

No. That's a fundamental misconception about the Pianoteq piano synth
engine. Its a physically modelled piano and mic and reverb setup,
which means that you can change an awful lot of parameters that are
actually associated with a physical piano: hammer hardness, mic
position, sympathetic resonance, string tension, tuning and more. The
notion that Pianoteq's piano has "a sound" is fundamentally wrong,
although it may be true that the internals of their model do make
certain possibilities unachievable. It is not sample-based instrument,
and so cannot be judged by "listening to a few tracks". What you heard
wer some specific settings that someone chose to use. Unlike a
sample-based piano, Pianoteq can do a job of being a Bosendorfer OR a
Steinway, with a wrecked sound box or a very lively one. etc. etc.
etc.