[LAU] Balance between performance and noise

Thu Dec 9 23:54:47 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 12:10 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 06:39 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:

>>> what kernel are you running?
>>>

>>>    2.6.33.7-rt29
>>>

>> That one ^
>>
>> You tested it with yoshimi, hammond or other heavy patches? Foo-yc20 ?
>
> different toolset here, but I can go from naught to 16 jconvolvers,
> csound, fluidsynth, ardour&  jamin in a few seconds. causing the CPU
> usage to jump up and change freq w/o x-runs.
>
> ..what does cause problems here is FSBus frequency scaling, I've
> disabled that in the BIOS.

Turns out that there are two parameters in my laptop's BIOS (Lenovo
T510) that can disable both pci and pci express power management.

I'll be darned! Guess what? The xruns are gone! Like magic!! Just on a
preliminary test (I don't have all the hardware I would need here) but
running with the "Ondemand" governor.

This is a _golden_ tip. Thanks much!

-- Fernando