[LAU] looking for a midi recording softsynth

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 10:02:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

I was talking to a friend this morning about a project I thought we
could do together. He plays free improv piano/keyboard music - dense
patterns and textures improvised in live time. I was saying that in
principle it would be possible to record a piece of his music on a
keyboard as a midi stream, then feed it through a softsynth in a studio
and tweak the synth parameters as it's playing to produce the final piece.

He liked the idea, but I'm not sure if there's a linux softsynth that
would work like this. What it needs to do is:

- produce sounds from a midi stream in real time, with the sound altered
by tweaking various parameters (knobs and buttons).
- the tweaks should be recordable so that you can play them back and
re-tweak them until you get the result you want.
- the feature I really want is to be able to set presets for the
parameters and then fade between presets in real time. E.g. if there are
two presets which both use a resonant low pass filter, I want to be able
to move a single slider that moves the filter value from one to the
other continuously to create a filter sweep. This is different from a
fade at the audio stream level.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

cheers,

andy