[LAU] make uninstall, libclthreads versions,

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Dec 11 14:45:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 02:58:46PM +0100, Peter Plessas wrote:

> Have you thought about adding a "make uninstall" target in your
> Makefiles? I have a rather hard time figuring out how to uninstall eg.
> libclthreads from my system.

Will think of it ! Normally it's easy enough to do manually, and the
libs don't take much place.

> A second question:
> Can I have clthreads-2.4.0 and clthreads-2.2.1 installed next to each other?

You can have both on your disk, but only the most recent one will be used.
If you look in your /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib directory, you will find
something like this:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      21 Jan 24  2010 libclthreads.so -> libclthreads.so.2.4.0
  lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      21 Jan 24  2010 libclthreads.so.2 -> libclthreads.so.2.4.0
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   31334 Jan 24  2010 libclthreads.so.2.4.0

The two symbolic links are created by 'make install'.

When you compile and link a program, the *.so one is actually used,
the linker discovers it points to *.so.2.4.0 and will leave a mark
in the binary saying it needs the *.so.2 file at run time.

So even if you have 2.2.1, it will never be used if 2.4.0 was installed
more recently. You can have two versions of a library *if* the major
version number (the first, 2 in this case) is different.
If it is the same, the most recent one should be binary compatible with
the older one, so the older one is not needed.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.