[LAU] midi analyzer

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Dec 12 21:46:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 09:32:57PM +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> Kim Cascone wrote:
>> I have a midi file that I need to analyze i.e. see tempo, time
>> signature, note ons/offs, cc# and data etc etc...
>>
>> is there something like MIDI-OX for Linux or a sequencer that can do a
>> forensic analysis of a midi file?
>>
>> if so please advise?
> For basic text output mftext (I think in all distributions part of ABC
> utilities IIRC)
>
> For something more advanced you could look into the various Python MIDI
> libraries and then hack up the analysis logic yourself.

mftext works great (part of "abcmidi" package on Debian/Ubuntu/etc).

I generally use midi.el MIDI mode in emacs for looking at MIDI files. If I want to know MUSICALLY what's in there (I can't hear note numbers and timestamps in my head), I fire it up in Rosegarden and look at the piano roll, or if it's pretty normalized, in Denemo and have a look at the notes on a staff.

-ken