[LAU] -ck patch

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Dec 13 15:47:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Raffaele Morelli
<raffaele.morelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree about unprofessionality of xruns but what about our ears?
> I trust my ears and bless them, thanks to them I can appreciate music from
> Ella to Jimi and so on... but do they betray me when I realize I can't
> recognize an xrun in a mix? How long is an xrun? Can we hear it when it
> occurs only 3,4,5 times in a mix?

if you can't hear the click caused by an xrun, then you probably
should give up mixing :)

more seriously, it is possible for there to be an xrun without any
audible effect (though this is rare). the clicks that they cause are
very similar (most of the time) to those caused by sample clock sync
issues (e.g. a bad word clock cable or connector), and i don't know
anyone who would pay to work in a studio with such a configuration
(until it was fixed).