[LAU] -ck patch

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Dec 13 21:06:31 UTC 2010

Am 13.12.2010 16:26, schrieb Raffaele Morelli:

> ...recognize an xrun in a mix? How long is an xrun? Can we hear it when it
> occurs only 3,4,5 times in a mix?

Of course there is a major difference between xruns that occur *during a
recording* and those, that may occur, when you working on a mix and open
the GUI of a plugin and the like. I use to have xruns in such situations
on a regular basis. But I make sure to have zero xruns during recordings.

During a recording an xrun adds something uncomprehendable to the
stream, that will in 9/10 cases cause audible noise if the stream is
played. Though the error could be only a few milliseconds in length, the
system, that plays the stream will produce something extremely
recognisable as it hits the place in the stream, where the data is
corrupted by the xrun. Its like a scratch on a vinyl: even if it is
microscopic your record is not mint anymore...

You can have the same effect, if you cut wave-files in a very very wrong
way or if you have extreme peaks above 0db in a recording.

> I guess I am going off topic now but I am a fan of "if it's sounds good then
> it's ok"

That is my philosophy also.

So, if you are sure, that it sounds good and 2 or 3 others with sane
hearing agree...

And also if you like to spice up a industrial metal track with some
really evil noises, that all the other cowards fearfully avoid -- just
set jack to run with 0.33 ms latency and record some tracks with a
hda-chip in a netbook ;-)

best regards

HZN