[LAU] jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

Danni Coy danni.coy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 03:41:32 UTC 2010

I seem to be having the same difficulties here on Natty.
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf is correctly set up.
ulimits -l -r tells me I have unlimited memory and max priority of 95
I am definately a member of the Audio group.

Firewire is working correctly (will start without realtime, alsa backend
fails to get realtime also) and yet starting jackd will yeild the following.

jackd -d firewire
jackdmp 1.9.7
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
ERROR: messagebuffer not initialized: libffado 2.999.0- built Nov  1 2010
21:44:06
ERROR: messagebuffer not initialized: 01912191011: Error (PosixThread.cpp)[
150] Start: Cannot create realtime thread (1: Operation not permitted)
ERROR: messagebuffer not initialized: 01912191047: Error (PosixThread.cpp)[
151] Start:  priority: 15
firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Cannot attach audio driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to start server

Something else seems to be going wrong here.