[LAU] jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

linuxdsp mike at linuxdsp.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 08:59:13 UTC 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Danni Coy <danni.coy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I seem to be having the same difficulties here on Natty.
>
> see http://jackaudio.org/linux_group_sched
>
> Natty is basically not usable by regular users for realtime
> scheduling. Conversations about this are ongoing.

I was going to start this email with "I don't understand why..." but I
DO understand why (and that's what makes it more depressing) that there
still needs to be so much tweaking required to get a modern PC to do
audio (and by 'so much' I mean 'any').
But taking a step back, and looking at it in (very) oversimplified terms
I could stream audio from an 8MHz 68000 (many years ago) without
glitches.. Admittedly it wouldn't do much else..
On a 25MHz 386 and DOS it "more or less worked" (perhaps a regressive
step, even then).
Now we have PC systems with CPU speeds in the multiple GHz Range, and
multiple cores, and the sheer amount of processing power available would
have been almost unimaginable back then and the bandwidth available
across expansion ports vastly outstrips the old 8MHz ISA buss.  Coupled
with huge amounts of memory (even on a low end system) - I now have what
would have been considered a 'super computer' sitting in a small box on
my desktop, and yet I STILL cannot play an audio file from it without it
occasionally going wrong.... How did we get to this point?? :(