[LAU] How to make Jack remember soundcards, not alsa-slots

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Tue Dec 14 11:28:41 UTC 2010

Robin,

> OOPS: I've just realized that two of your devices are identical.
> I don't think the name will help in that case. IIRC there's away to use
> a UID or BUS like /dev/snd/by-path/.. but I don't remember the details
> just now.

If the ICE-cards have serial numbers, it could be an effective solution
to add it to the card's name. RME cards are quite commonly used in
bundles, so I added this feature:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [default        ]: HDSPM - RME MADI_c61f8e
                      RME MADI S/N 0xc61f8e at 0xfdef0000, irq 16

It also allows to identify cards in the LAN. In infrastructure setups
the host no longer is the top level namespace.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net