[LAU] jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Dec 14 14:13:05 UTC 2010

Paul Davis wrote:

> ALL of the tweaking required in Linux has to do with removing,
> reducing or getting around these limits to access. if you build your
> own kernel the RT patches and with a 2 line patch that allows RT
> scheduling for anything and memlock for anything, then you're
> basically good to go.

As I recently wrote elsewhere: I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04
(32-bit plain-vanilla) on my secondary machine in hopes of eliminating
some performance problems with Ardour. Here's what I did to set it up
after the default installation :

1. Added myself to the Audio group;
2. Added the necessary tweaks to limits.conf (does it still matter for
an rt kernel ?);
3. Installed the rt kernel from Synaptic;
4. Ran update-grub;
5. Rebooted to a nice new low-latency system;
6. Configured QJackCtl for my devices.

All that must have taken a total of about 15 minutes. No need for
UStudio, I can install a variety of A/V packages from Synaptic (though I
compile all my main music & sound apps).

A far, far cry from the bad old days. Ubuntu's come a long way too.

And btw, the performance problem with Ardour is gone. :)

Best,

dp