[LAU] [PD] L2Ork Pd update now available

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Dec 15 17:40:11 UTC 2010

> You're simply hiding the bug:
> 1. With the Properties dialogue open, go back and click somewhere
> on the patch to deselect the iemgui.  (Btw-- there are times when
> this behavior is convienent, so please don't make the Properties
> dialogue force focus.)
> 2. Click "Ok".
> 3. Still crashes.
>
> No crash in Pd-vanilla 0.43.

That is because (afaik) vanilla 0.43 does not have apply undo at all. In
other words apply actions that result from properties are simply
ignored.

In my case the way I am tracking items in undo is I seek selected items
which now I realize is not the most robust way of doing so. That said, I
did not make this fix to "hide the bug" but rather for the sake of
consistency because I believe one needs to be in edit mode to edit, and
getting properties for an object, particularly when there are many
crammed near each other I believe one needs to select the item to
reflect what they've selected, and then do operations that pertain to
editing. I believe that allowing to edit items in this way while not in
edit mode is essentially a bug from a usability perspective as it erases
differentiation between performance (or whatever you will call it) and
editing mode.

All that said, I need to reconsider how to deal with undo and I have a
pretty good idea now what needs to be done (e.g. by passing obj pointer
to the undo in addition to the canvas pointer)...