[LAU] partition table

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Dec 17 16:02:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Friday 17 December 2010 16:01:30 rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Do you have a special /home partition? Why or why not?

Yes.

1) On my new systems, my home is encrypted.
2) It _really_ helps when you re-install your system.
3) You will do the same after a filled-up home killed your machine.
4) You will also add a special partition for /usr once /usr/tmp went berserk
and killed your machine...

> Will performance be better if you have a special partition for audio?

If the audio-data is on the same disk as other stuff is, performance will hit
you when the other stuff is accessed while you do audio. That is if it shares
the physical disk with the system-partition, you might get problems when
starting firefox (for example). If you just start up your machine with all the
apps you need for example for recording a live-show, the performance
degradation will be less if no big system-transactions happen during
recording.

Again a special partition helps when the system barfs and needs re-install.
But do the distinction between partitions and disks. And then look at lvm
which allows partitions to move (and mirror and snapshot and stripe) from one
hard-disk to the next. lvm _really_ helps when you realize that 1TB is not
enough and you want to move your data to that new 3TB disk you just bought.

Have fun,

Arnold