[LAU] partition table

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Mon Dec 20 13:49:11 UTC 2010

Quoting "rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>:

> Do you have a special /home partition? Why or why not?

Yes, as others have said: it is much easier if/when you reinstall the OS

> Will performance be better if you have a special partition for audio?

 From what I understand it recommended to have a separate audio HD but
a partition will also be benecifial.
The reasoning behind the latter is that the system disk is often
fragmented and since a typical recording session will need to allocate
space for big files it will probably have to break them up and put
them all over the drive.

Whether it makes any difference with a modern HD and moderately large
projects is debatable (I haven't noticed any problems with ~10 tracks
in 5 minute songs) but I can imagine that when you start having 40-50
tracks playing simultaneously seek-time due to fragmentation might be
an issue.