[LAU] Ardour3

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Mon Dec 20 19:17:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:58:51 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote

> Paul,
> I think you're making a lot of assumptions here.  the aur is a pretty
> clearly understood concept within the Arch community.

Was it understood by Fabio?

>  Users who use
> svn pgkbuilds from AUR are not really different from other users who
> build from svn.

The point you don't seem to get is: _users_ don't build from svn.
And building from svn seems to be complicted enough to prevent them to do it.

>  I don't see why behavior (frequency of updating,
>  whether the mailing lists are checked or not) would necessarily be
> worse amongst AUR svn users then other folks who build ardour from svn.
> In fact, I think just *because* they have a pkgbuild, it actually
> becomes easier to update the package.  People who do things manually
> are the ones who don't like doing it all over again.

Easier for whom?

> But really, I don't get why you care so much about how frequent Arch
> users update their svn packages.  You don't want to support people
> who build ardour3 from svn and who don't know how to provide
> valuable feedback, that is fine.  As long as we tell folks that
> clearly, we're good.

Jes, as long as you tell folks clearly that _is_ fine. But that important step
got lost ...

>  I don't see why we would need to prevent users
> building from svn, it's not like they harm anyone by doing so
> (provided we put that clear warning in)

Lukily Fabio only waisted developer time - but alpha software can easily erase
your harddisk or go out and kill your grandmother - but wait, this isn't even
alpha software! Get the pont ;-)

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes