[LAU] Ardour3

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Tue Dec 21 08:45:21 UTC 2010

Hi Paul,

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Ray Rashif<schivmeister at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 21 December 2010 10:55, Paul Davis<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>  wrote:
>>> there were 16 commits to svn within the last 20 hours. some of these
>>> were deep changes to the way things work (though hopefully not
>>> resulting in any visible breakage, we don't know, which is why its not
>>> released yet). do you really think that arch linux users who are using
>>> a pkgbuild to try this out have any grasp of what is going on?
>>>
>>> maybe the answer, your answer, is "yes". i'm quite a bit more skeptical.
>> I'd be as skeptical as you, if that's the question. There are bound to
>> be those who just want to "try" ardour3.
> right. and that's the whole point. i don't want people who "just want
> to try it" to do so at this point because i don't believe its ready
> for them. and when they find its not ready, as they likely will, what
> will their reaction be? the idea is to limit the set of people "just
> trying it" to people who are ready for it to break on them and
> willing to get involved and help us fix the issue. what you're
> alluding to is to me more like a beta test. we haven't released an
> alpha yet.
You are right, but I think also overall the Linux Users' community is
grown up enough to know what an svn version is, and through this very
discussion I think it is now clear to all that any ardour 3 version one
'gets hold of' it is to be considered such.

I think - hope - the reaction of users building from svn is "hey it's
coming along really well, thumbs up!". That was my reaction when I had a
peak last time. Yes I publicly confess I also did a 'curiosity build' :)
Finally, maybe the post on createdigitalmusic.co [1] did contribute to
increase a certain curiosity...

Lorenzo.

[1]
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/12/ardour-3-free-daw-is-nearly-done-and-with-midi-could-become-your-main-daw/