[LAU] Ardour3

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:43:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
>
>>> the alternative is for us to do development in secret and i don't
>>> think that this really serves anyone very well.
>>
>> This is exactly the problem, and it is very fundamental.
>>
>> Developers can't control the user experience of an open source software package. Full stop. It is not possible. The users, and the distributions, have a lot more say in it.
>
> I'm not talking about user experience of a released program. There's
> no question that its not possible to control this.
>
> I'm talking about the user experience of a not-yet alpha-released
> program. There's probably no question that its possible to control
> this either, but the fact that its possible for the concept to even
> exist is a function of the fact that we've developed ardour3 "in the
> open" rather than keeping it hidden until we think its ready for
> public evaluation.

Unless you limit access to your repository how will you ever control
that? It's Open Source. Good, bad, working, not working, if it's
available then it's out there.

As for me I don't even ask _questions_ about A3. Gentoo pro-audio has
an ebuild. I build it and play with it. I won't depend on it until 6
months after you say it's ready. In the meantime it's just something
for me to play with.

As Ardour matures it certainly becomes important that you don't allow
people to damage the brand you've created here.

My 2 cents,
Mark