[LAU] Ardour3

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:32:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand something, but if you want to develop a product
> and let the public only see the final version, you just don't reveal the
> code until it's done. If the code is revealed.... what can you do?

The issue as I see it, if there is an issue, is not with the code being
revealed. The code is open I would guess to encourage constructive
contributions. The issue is whether any form of packaging will lead to users
who will not provide constructive contributions, and in fact may potentially
provide destructive contributions in the form of unwanted bug reports that
create a public image of flawed software before it is officially released.

I can see that it is perhaps a kind of pre-emptive damage control being
performed by unequivocally taking a stand on packaging - if people are
willing to read the build instructions they are also probably more likely to
read instructions on how to properly report bugs in a way that will help the
developers. So I accept the logic behind the stand, though perhaps not the
vehemence of the stand to the point of using language like "appalling", a
word I would reserve for the atrocities of war.

Personally, knowing now that the alpha is so close, I'm inclined to let the
Ardour team state whatever desires they like if it'll make the alpha testing
phase come around faster. As such, I promise to say no more on this...

-michael