[LAU] Ardour3

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 16:27:12 UTC 2010

On 12/21/10, Fabio wrote:
> whole discussion remebers me of my mom advising me not to eat from the pie
> until it has colded down. She says, don't eat from it, you will get
> stomache-ake (how do you say that?)

It's called Bauchschmerzen :-P

On 12/22/10, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Maybe I don't understand something, but if you want to develop a product and
> let the public only see the final version, you just don't reveal the code
> until it's done. If the code is revealed.... what can you do?

This opens a whole can of worms, you know :)

The point of creating content production software is to make software
that can be trusted with money. And that means stability. Nevertheless
different approaches to development cycle and releasing exist and live
on.

You can combat unwanted distribution which is what e.g. Oxygen icon
theme designers had to do in the days of KDE4 beta stage. Or you can
turn the situation to your advance which is what e.g. Blender team
does (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/).

It simply boils down to specifics of every software project: how you
plan development cycle, what changes are planned, how they relate to
each other and how they can affect e.g. backwards compatibilty of
project data or stability when used for real paid project, and of
course there is a matter of personal preferences of developers.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org