[LAU] Ardour3

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:48:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Thomas Vecchione's message of 2010-12-21 14:22:39 +0100:
>> For the record, we aren't attacking you, but you are being used as an
>> example, it isn't meant to be personal you just happened to bet he
>> first one that mailed here about it.  You did waste a little bit of
>> time, but far less than those that DO come into IRC and say, I built
>> this but why isn't this working, to which we go through a long and
>> tedious debugging process to only find out they built via a
>> build-script or similar and have no idea what actually happened in the
>> build process(See my post above, I used to do this so don't think I am
>> being mean:), and we have to tell them after having wasted sometimes
>> hours of effort the exact same thing you got in the first response;)
>>
>> Yes this does happen, sadly more often than we would like.
>>
>>        Seablade
>
> Sorry Seablade, but a build script actually documents how it was built,
> you have to commands in there, one ofter the other, for your reading
> pleasure. The user can throw you a link, you can have a look and
> immediately say things like: "oh, that's wrong, you have to build with
> internal SLV2 and without VST or you won't get support".
> Arch build scripts are a few lines of bash and you don't even need to
> know bash to understand them.

And it does not in any way change what I said.  Any package system
documents this, but users don't necessarily know exactly how to read
such a script.  I can read a portage ebuild (As well as this package
script)and tell you exactly how a package was built, but that doesn't
change that many gentoo users don't know how to do that.  The same
holds just as true for Arch, though the actual ratio of those that do
or don't know may be different, the fact of the matter is you still
get those that don't.  What does happen with both of those that
doesn't happen with other build systems is the users go, "I built it
myself" which is technically true but doesn't tell us crud of what we
need to know.

    Seablade