[LAU] Which SATA drive? Size? [Was: Re: partition table]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 18:03:06 UTC 2010

2010/12/24 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de>:
<SNIP>
>> Yeah, I've heard of that, and I suspect it works. I've not used it
>> myself. I felt it reasonable to let folks know what they were buying
>> and what the issues might be. Who knows what the issues might be with
>> that feature turned off?
>
> the drive is a lot faster and will reach its expected lifetime, hopefully.

Is it? In what way? Something like hdparm -tT or something else?

Reaching its lifetime would be a good thing.

>> Certainly power consumption will go up.
>
> no. under linux, power consumption will actually go down, since the
> constant head parking and unparking is avoided. if you implement laptop
> mode with very large dirty buffers, you might actually reach a point
> where there's actual benefit to this "green" feature, but i have a very
> strong suspicion it's just a stupid greenwashing feature they came up
> with (without expecting much themselves), because marketing wanted it.

I think that really depends on how long it's left asleep. At this 2
minute rate I'm seeing I suspect it lowers power to put it to sleep
but I don't know.

>> Maybe
>> most folks don't leave their DAWs powered up 24/7, I don't know.
>
> true. the problem hit me on a server. but i'm pretty sure that on a DAW,
> you don't want your disk heads to go for a nap every 15 seconds either,
> especially since they do it with a loud "clack" for extra emphasis...

No debate there. Completely agree.

> the caviar green is definitely a very stupid product, probably even
> under windows. as faberman said, if you are concerned about power
> consumption and noise, invest in 2.5" drives.
>
> happy holidays,
>

> jörn
>

> (who is stuck on a train in the snow and bored enough to read mail on
> christmas eve...)

You too!

- Mark